Bicoastalism: the story of my life

Born and Raised in Cali but (temporarily?) on the East Coast.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Wow, your english is great

I finally heard the line - the line I've heard others speak about but never faced. Well, it wasn't said to me .. but to my husband.

At the conference in VA, I heard someone say "Wow, your English is really good."

Well, gee, he came to America at 3 and grew up in NY and CT ... I would sure hope his english is damn good. I mean, sure, the turban stuck out like a sore thumb in the crowd of mostly 40+ white men, but come on people!

Anyone have any clever comebacks? I want to have them handy.

4 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of the "thanks, so's yours" comeback.

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got that once in India, from a visiting European Tourist. I said

"Thanks! I watch a lot of American TV!"

-- Ennis

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger suitablegirl said...

i used to always say, "should be, i was BORN HERE". desidancer's is more elegant though.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger sherni said...

lol ... those are great. I'll make sure to keep in mind =) Almost makes me WANT someone to ask me that now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home