Bicoastalism: the story of my life

Born and Raised in Cali but (temporarily?) on the East Coast.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Chick Lit

So I'm the kid who used to be able to read a whole book in 1-2 days and ordered new ones every month from that book club pamphlet they handed out in class. I was at the library ALL the time. My parents hated it. They would yell at me to stop reading because they said I wasn't experiencing and enjoying life. I guess they wanted me to talk more on those car rides instead of turning on the little backseat personal light in the benzo and reading quietly.

Anyways, I outgrew that phase once my fun little private school had me reading more books than I could keep up with. I never really read in college either. Then a coworker made me get The DaVinci Code and i loved it. Since then I started reading some random books here and there.

A couple weeks ago, SS, lent me one of those chick lit books. I finished it in 2 days and loved it. These books are great. You don't have to put a single thought into them and the girl is always happy at the end. What more could you ask for? Granted, I always have that sad feeling at the end because I wish it would go on and I could read more about their fun lives.

So now I have 4 new chick lit books to read. Except that I have too much preparation to do for England to actually read them!!

3 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are you reading right now? I'd be glad to compare chick-lit titles and swap recommendations :)

I love the new movement of brown-chick-lit, too. Too funny

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger sherni said...

Ok I read the shopaholic series (except for the sister one which I just picked up). I also read that Nanny one .. can't remember the title, based in NY.

The ones I have right now are:
Shopaholic & Sister
Slightly Single - Wendy Markham
Breakfast at Stephanie's - Sue Margolis
The Boy Next Door - Meggin Cabot

Yea - I looked for 10 authors at the library and this is all they had. Stupid library.

I'd love to get your recommendations - especially on brown chick-lit!

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah, The Nanny Diaries. That was fun!

Well, there's The Devil Wears Prada, and the second book she put out... can't remember the name... it's like Everbody Worth Knowing or something like that.

Jennifer Weiner's Good In Bed is decent fun. Any Candace Bushnell (S&TC) is a good time, especially Four Blondes.


For Brown ChickLit
For Matrimonial Purposes, The Village Bride of Beverly Hills- both by Kavita Daswani
Serving Crazy with Curry- Amulya Malladi
And the whole "Sister of my Heart" series by Chitra Divakaruni

Not Chick-Lit per se, but REALLY amazing are The Twentieth Wife and The Feast of Roses by Indu Sundaresan. OMG they're SO gorgeous!

that oughta keep you busy for a while :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home