Bicoastalism: the story of my life

Born and Raised in Cali but (temporarily?) on the East Coast.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

WHY??

Why did people decide to stay in New Orleans during the hurricane, even after a mandatory evacuation order? I'm so mad/upset/enraged right now! (Keep in mind I just spent the last hour reading the news about this). I cannot stand reading testimonials from people saying "oh, well the rain has never come into the house before." Well, you've never had a hurricane like this before either!!!

Why do people think they're smarter than everyone else? If the damn federal authorities are telling you to leave, I think it would be a safe bet to leave! I have trouble feeling sorry for these people when they had the notification, means and time to leave. I'm not talking about those who for some reason could not leave. I mean those who just didn't heed the warnings and decided they would stick it out. Do they think they're stronger than the thousands of people who left? Even if they were, they sure as hell aren't stronger than a hurricane!

People affected by the tsunami had no warning of the danger that was coming towards them. Imagine if they had the chance to pack up and leave a whole day before the tsunami hit. Thousands of lives would have been spared and thousands of children wouldn't be orphaned. These people in NO had this chance to survive and they didn't take it.

I just don't understand the stubbornness of these people. Do they not care for their lives? What about all the lives they're affecting by not caring for their own? What about all the rescue workers who now have to risk their lives to save these people who are trapped in their homes or on their roofs? I just don't understand why people have to defy authority in such dangerous times.

Anyways, vent over. I am truly sorry for the loss of everyone affected, especially for all those who have lost their homes and their businesses due to the hurricane. I hope the recovery is as seamless as it can be for everyone.

6 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to justify their actions.

Most of them (who chose not to) could not afford (financially) to evacuate. Some of them thought this will like one of the previous hurricanes.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger oodles said...

I agree with Kush. A lot of people who live in New Orleans have been told to evacuate before, and many times, the hurricane completely bypasses the city (speaking from personal experience, it happened when I was a student there). Of course, many did not have the means to leave. Poor city, poor people= no way out.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger sherni said...

I totally understand and relate with people who couldn't leave because they had no means.

I guess when I wrote this the media wasn't fixating on those cases and was instead sensationalizing those who just refused to leave, even after realizing the danger. Goes to show you how influential MSNBC can be when you watch/read it for a few hours straight.

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about Making Cheddar Cheese
. You can check it out at Making Cheddar Cheese



Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

 
At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about buy chocolate fountains
. You can check it out at buy chocolate fountains


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

 
At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Interior designer forest park beach Brew pontiac honda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home