Bicoastalism: the story of my life

Born and Raised in Cali but (temporarily?) on the East Coast.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Crash

So I saw Crash last weekend - the Oscar winning movie. Definitely not my normal type of movie. Usually when I want to devote 2+ hours of my night to a flick, I want it to be funny and lighthearted. I stay away from movies that are too serious unless I'm really in the mood. I had horrible dreams after watching Crash - but this is coming from someone who hasn't seen a scary movie since Sixth Sense (I saw dead people in my room for a month).

Anyways, I really thought the movie was done well. Normally when there's so many characters and plot lines in a movie, it really doesn't work and you don't remember who's who.

The ending was depressing, as expected. But the irony of the movie is what made it so enjoyable. It kept you on the edge of your seat throughout, because you had no idea what would happen or which character would run into another, and how. I don't think I've ever heard my husband say the word "Fuck" so many times. The movie just gets your emotions so riled up. I can't talk about it too much without ruining it for someone, so go watch it.

I'm really glad this movie won the Oscar instead of Brokeback Mountain (Disclaimer: I haven't seen BM yet). It's a good feeling knowing that a movie based on racism climbed to the #1 spot and so many people saw it. I hope it opens the eyes of some people. I guess I'm more passionate about this because I've seen firsthand what the result of ignorance is when the Sikh community becomes the victim. Anyways, I hope at least a few people will think twice before they act out of prejudice.

And, to end this on a lighter note - Bahar Soomekh is hot - or at least she was at the Oscars.